Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Week 25 - True Respect

Hey everyone, this week's been pretty good. But time is just so weird.

1. Russia and Ukraine: Alma 35
2. True Respect
3. Elder Tillman
4. Spiritual Thought

1. Even though we don't pick up on all news as missionaries, word still gets around. We heard about Russia invading Ukraine from a friend this past week and it did sound pretty bad. The next morning Elder Tillman was talking more about how crazy things are going on in Ukraine. It's sad. We started talking about how crazy it would be if we got sent home to go to war. Later that morning as I was thinking about it, I got to Alma 35 in my Book of Mormon Reading. I got a little shook when I read verse 14: "And Alma, and Ammon, and their brethren, and also the two sons of Alma returned to the land of Zarahemla, after having been instruments in the hands of God of bringing many of the Zoramites to repentance; and as many as were brought to repentance were driven out of their land; but they have lands for their inheritance in the land of Jershon, and they have taken up arms to defend themselves, and their wives, and children, and their lands". I was like uhhh, does this mean something? Nothing has happened yet. And for now, we will proceed to do Missionary work as usual.

2. I just wanted to record this moment. Elder Tillman and I were street contacting talking to a guy. And while we were talking this black guy, who likely was intoxicated, comes up behind me. He grabbed my left shoulder so I turn to him. He gives me a firm handshake with a little, confident, grin, and then continues walking down the street. This was all while Elder Tillman was talking to this other guy we approached. But it was just so awesome. I have never felt so respected. 

3. For all my companions I try to introduce them by pointing out the weird things about them. I realize I never gave Elder Tillman a formal introduction. He has been my companion for a month now and things are going good. He's from Texas and turned 19 a couple weeks ago. It's harder to describe a guy like Elder Tillman, but here are some random things: He likes to scream randomly sometime, or just likes being a loud person in general. He is also the designated driver so I don't always feel safe. Sometimes when I'm backing he likes to go in reverse really fast and thinks it's funny when he almost hits me with the car. I have come closer to being hit than I'd like. So a lot of the time I'll just stand on the curb or somewhere he can't drive. These all sound like bad things, but I need to get out the weird things about my companions to someone. He is a good guy, has a strong testimony and a good work ethic, I just may end up in the Hospital, or in a Let's Get Real segment of Safety Zone

4. Today's Spiritual thought comes from Alma 36, the same day I read Alma 35. This is when Alma is talking to his son. My favorite verse is verse 5: "5 Now, behold, I say unto you, if I had not been born of God I should not have known these things; but God has, by the mouth of his holy angel, made these things known unto me, not of any worthiness of myself". I don't think I would have a testimony of this Gospel and be a Missionary if I didn't grow up in the circumstances I did. If I hadn't been born in the church and was given the opportunity by missionaries or something, I probably would've done what a lot of people do and brush it off because they've got other things going on. But because I went on a mission and was given the time and resources I feel like I was able to realize how important the Gospel is. So I feel like I have been born of God like this scripture says: "Not of any Worthiness of myself". In the past I've felt bad for being unwilling to invest in the scriptures because I just never made it a priority. I needed to be given the time as a Missionary to really invest in the church. Which that's why I'm so grateful for the environment of the Mission, and for being in the true church. 

Sorry I don't know if the spiritual Thought made sense. I don't have much time and I'm writing it while multitasking, but you should be able to get what I mean.

Love you all! Sorry I didn't take any pictures this week

- Elder Wride

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 102.5 - The End

My dear friends, I am writing to you from the comforts of my home, Sandy Utah. I am no longer Elder, but Brother Wride. I just landed in Uta...