Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Week 61 - Contacts in the Trash

Hello Everyone! Time is zoomin

Here's a fun little story for the week: We are now 4/6 weeks into the transfer, and the whole time I have been waiting for something. That is, in my last apartment, I accidentally left some stuff in the bathroom. It was a little sewing and medical kit from my Grandma, some denture cleaners for my retainer, and most importantly, my 6 months supply of contacts. I messaged Elder Johnson the next day and asked him to put it all in a bag, write "Elder Hyrum Wride, Zone 1", and to give it to the ZLs to send it back to me through the mission office. Well, I waited a while but didn't get anything. I assumed it was just taking a while (Zone Leaders forgetting stuff is the biggest hold up in mission mail). But then we got mail last week and my stuff wasn't there. I first asked Elder J and he said he gave it to the ZLs the day after I asked him. I asked the ZLs in the included image below:

Screenshot_20221102-074221_Area Book.jpg
He then proceeded to thank me for the new toothbrush too. I thought he might have been kidding for a while because I have no idea how there was that miscommunication. Elder Johnson said he gave very clear directions. Why would they assume I didn't want my contacts? It literally has my name and zone on it. But alas, the contacts are long gone. They threw them away weeks ago. I just ordered another pair today which was a big oof.

We also went outside the mission. We went out for the first time a few weeks ago but it was an accident. Basically in order to get to this far part of our area we have to go outside our area and the mission. We were getting a ride from a member back to our apartment. I took a screenshot of the map. The red line is the mission boundary
Screenshot_20221022-195730_Area Book.jpg
But we also have a member that attends this ward even though they live outside the ward boundaries. They have their records here, and the President gave us permission to visit them. It was cool. She has a pet cockatoo but I didn't take a picture of it. Also, on the way back from the appointment we took some cool pictures
received_1115229962698888.jpeg
received_501152695393304.jpeg
received_671046264594456.jpeg
received_1194141944859280.jpeg
We were like maybe 7 miles from the ocean, but you can see it on the horizon. Anyway, things have been going well. We met a lady this week named Norma and gave her a Book of Mormon. She seems really nice and we hope to meet her this week. Other than that, we haven't begun teaching anyone new yet. It's been kinda frustrating because there are so many GOLDEN people in the area. They just haven't been able to meet with us yet. We invited a bunch of them to come to the Christmas concert we have next month which the members say is a really huge event and a lot of non-members come. Hopefully I'm not transferred then. Just working on being patient with everything though. The area has a lot of potential.

Also, here's another picture we took this week
20221104_185941.jpg

A quick spiritual thought I had this week is just about gratitude. I think I've expressed this before, but sometimes it just feels really hard to get out of bed. In the morning, and during my lunch time nap. I just don't want to do anything or go anywhere sometimes. But, I've been trying to focus more on why I love being a missionary which I would say is summed up in this quote by Elder Rasbands talk "This Day"
Screenshot_20221108-152400_Gospel Library.jpg
There is no greater happiness I have felt than what Elder Rasband explains here. Of course, I will be able to share the gospel after my full-time mission, but it won't be the same. I think of all the times I have shared the Restoration with people, and I am just so hungry to be able to share it with everyone I can. The spirit in those moments is so strong that it is undeniable. So, I hope to be able to have another one of those experiences this week with Norma. Right now it looks like we might be able to meet Friday, but it's not set in stone.

Anyway, I need to wrap this up. Thank you so much for all your love and support! I love you!

- Elder Wride

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 102.5 - The End

My dear friends, I am writing to you from the comforts of my home, Sandy Utah. I am no longer Elder, but Brother Wride. I just landed in Uta...