Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Week 57 - New area from Ground Zero, on Bikes, and with a Greenie

Time is zoomin by. I hit 13 months this week. 

I got transferred after 4 months in Lakeside. My new area is Olivenhain, near Carlsbad. And, I am training again! I do not yet know who my new companion is, I wont find out until later tonight. They're flying in today and will spend the whole day with President and Sister Merritt, and then later tonight we will meet for dinner, and head to our areas. I am excited to train again because it will be a new experience with a new companion, and it will be cool to just see how things go. I'm a little worried though because we will be in a brand new area (The ward, and the neighboring ward used to be double covered, but this ward was more neglected). President called and said it would basically be from Ground Zero. Plus, since I'm training I need to show the new missionary all the ropes. Also, we are on bikes! Our area is pretty big. Bigger than a lot of the car areas which I think is lame, but oh well. We live in the top corner of our area so it will take a while to get from one end to the other. It'll be a little tough with that and all the hills, but I am trying to go in with a good attitude. I just took a look at the areabook and it's a little concerning. We have 46 unreported events that I know nothing about because I just got here. I guess I thought after training Elder Johnson I would be able to chill for a little bit, but the Lord had something else in mind. I really just wanted to mainly just have a companion where we can both go head in and work hard. I hope my greenie has greenie fire because it's time for the grind. So, all in all, it might be hard, but I am actually really excited to start over in this area and to get to the grind. Also, I'm in a 4 man apartment just like in the Best Two Years which will be so sick!

I also got new shoes this week and they are pretty squeaky. Mostly because of my orthotics I think. Anyway, the Young Men asked me to help pass in Sacrament on Sunday. I was trying not to squeak and it was pretty hard not to laugh. I got a few comments by members after. They were giving me a hard time.

We also had a cockroach attack us. Actually a few weeks ago, but I forgot about it and then was just reminded of it since Elder Johnson sent me the picture. I'll include the story for content purposes. The night before General Conference, I was laying down in bed while Elder J was finishing his prayer. We then got up for comp prayers and I noticed this weird thing on the wall by the closet. I put on my glasses and saw that it was a cockroach! (I think). Luckily we had some cockroach spray. I had to stand on a chair to reach it, and put on a sweater for protection. It did not like the spray and jumped at me. I screamed really loud and probably disturbed the neighbors (It was like 10:40 or something). We battled for like 10 minutes until I covered him white in the foamy spray and the carpet. The foam evaporated or something and he was still crawling around like crazy. I put some books on top and we left him there overnight. He was dead in the morning.

It's really cool for me to see how I've grown as a missionary. Looking back, I had a lot of things I struggled with that I've simply moved past now: Homesickness, laziness (to some extent), and not having an enthusiasm for the work or the people. But as time and work have gone on, right now I'm at a point where I really just want to teach people. My greatest desire right now is to have one of those moments where you teach someone about the Book of Mormon, and the Restoration, and the spirit is so strong. It all just clicks for them and they have a desire to learn. I wish those moments happened more often. But that's honestly what keeps me going. When I make that my focus and my goal, it makes it so much easier to get through the moments where I don't want to work.

It will all be well. I don't have much else to say. I love the joy this gospel brings, and I hope to make the most out of the rest of my mission! Love you all!

- Elder Wride

Pictures:
- Took pictures at this bench again
- Cockroach
- Burritos





No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 102.5 - The End

My dear friends, I am writing to you from the comforts of my home, Sandy Utah. I am no longer Elder, but Brother Wride. I just landed in Uta...