Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Week 43 - President and Sister Merritt

Hello all, hope you're doing well

1. Persecution Then vs Now
2. President and Sister Merritt
3. Sacrament Talk - June 12th

1. This thought came from something at the park this week. We only really have 1 park in our area, Lindo Lake park, and there's this section where it's technically exercise equipment, but it's not very good equipment. It's like the weird equipment that older people sometimes use but it's basically weird playground stuff for anyone else. Well there were some kids on it and as we were walking by they called to us. They asked us "Do you watch Corn?". There are like 5 or 6 kids who are like 11 years old in a group and I do not know how to adequately handle the situation. We were just like no and started walking again. One kid was on a scooter and was riding around. The other kids came up and were asking us what's wrong with Corn? It felt like harassment. We were being publicly persecuted by these 11 year olds and we couldn't win so we kept walking. It's kinda pathetic compared to what the ancient prophets and apostles went through, but that's basically what it is these days. That, and old ladies who say they are not interested rather aggressively. I don't know if Jesus had us in mind in Matthew 5:10-12. They should add a footnote to Children in verse 11.

2. President and Sister Merritt are here. They came in on Thursday and we had interviews with President Merritt on Friday. My first impression is that they are very spiritually powerful individuals. I really had a cool interview with President Merritt in talking about goals for the rest of my mission, what I'm learning and it was really cool. We also had interviews with Sister Merritt which I've never had happen before. We had a cool talk on Miracles. I have been praying for the eyes to see miracles and tender mercies and she bore testimony that I would see them as I did. They are a really cool couple and I'm excited because they're really ready to work.

3. This talk was the one I gave my first Sunday in Lakeside. I asked the Bishopric 2nd counselor if we could have a visit with his family and he was like "How about you speak on Sunday?". It includes a fuller account of my orthotic devices from some months ago.
- Good Morning + Intro
- Today I was asked to speak on a Book of Mormon verse, Alma 1:30. To provide some context, this is soon after Alma the Elder has died. We're at the beginning of the reign of the judges with Alma the Younger acting as Chief judge. The first year was pretty rough for the people of Nephi. Priestcraft and persecution against the church were spreading throughout the land. But despite this, the church moves forward and begins to prosper. In verse 30 it says "And thus, in their prosperous circumstances, they did not send away any who were naked, or that were hungry, or that were athirst, or that were sick, or that had not been nourished; and they did not set their hearts upon riches; therefore they were liberal to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, whether out of the church or in the church, having no respect to persons as to those who stood in need". What I find especially amazing about this group of Saints is in verse 27, when the church is experiencing the midst of their trials. It says "And they did impart of their substance, every man according to that which he had, to the poor, and the needy, and the sick, and the afflicted; and they did not wear costly apparel, yet they were neat and comely". These faithful members worked together and individually to help one another where and when they could. They turned no one away, but gave freely to any in need. 
- I would now like to jump to the New Testament in Luke 4. This is the beginning of the Savior's ministry where he declares that He is the Messiah to a group in Nazareth. In verses 18-19 it says "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord''. In Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's General Conference talk, "Are We Not All Beggars?", he says "Thus the Savior made the first public announcement of His messianic ministry. But this verse also made clear that on the way to His ultimate atoning sacrifice and Resurrection, Jesus’s first and foremost messianic duty would be to bless the poor, including the poor in spirit.". As members of the Church of Jesus Christ, we also have a call to bless the temporally and spiritually poor. To bear one another’s burdens, "mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that we may be in (Mosiah 18:8-9)". It is a part of our baptismal covenant and it is how we follow the Savior. It is that we do what we can, where we can, as a service to our fellow Brothers and Sisters.
- I would now like to share an example of someone blessing me when I was in need. Something a number of you may notice during my time here in Lakeside, is that I have an unusual problem with my feet. I lean on the outside surface of my feet when I stand and walk. You may notice some wear on my shoes if you pay close enough attention. When I first came out on my mission, I did not know that this was an issue. I barely noticed a little difference in the way I stood and walked, but never thought anything of it. Over the first few months of my mission I wore the same pair of shoes pretty much all day, every day. After walking around doing Missionary work, I saw a growing difference in my shoes. Since I walked on the edge, some of my heel had scraped off on the outer sides. Most of the bottom of my shoe was normal, but if you looked at my shoes from behind you would see an incline from the inner to the outer edge of my heel, of about half an inch through. Pavement, asphalt, and other surfaces that I walked on overtime basically sanded through the heel. While I thought this was unusual, I did not want to focus on it right now. I figured it was not a big deal and my feet did not experience any pain excluding some soreness at the end of a long day. One Sunday at a member's home, the father of the house pointed out the wear of my shoes and the awkward way I leaned on my feet. He could tell because he experienced the same thing. His father was also there that day and he was a Chiropractor. He had taken care of his Son and some of the other family members including himself. Before I knew it, my shoes were off and I was sitting in a chair across from this man, with my feet resting on his knees. He was feeling and examining my feet which felt unusual, but he seemed to know what he was doing. He told me that I had a pretty severe condition, tearing through my shoes like that in 4 months. If I continued, this could lead to more serious problems with my feet and knees and overall performance in walking or running, etc. He invited me to come to his office to see what could be done. I went over a few weeks later. My parents were in support of me getting necessary treatment as we learned the details and expenses. From our previous visit, my understanding was that in the main treatment I would be given what were called Orthotic Devices. They would cast my feet and create a custom bulletproof mold that I would wear in my shoes for the rest of my life. They would improve performance, but would not solve the problem entirely. I talked with the Doctor and learned that the full program that they offer could cost up to $6,000. I was pretty shook because I did not have that kind of money. I had worked the summer before and saved some money for college, but I did have as much as I was hoping to make, and I did not want to spend a significant amount of that for treatment. And while my parents would be willing to help pay for the treatment, they had many other kids and expenses to take care of and $6,000 is a lot of money. While this was running through my head, the Doctor told me that he was going to give me the Orthotic devices for free. He had prayed, asking God what to do with this young Elder, and felt to give than to me freely. It would not include the full program, but it would be enough to be a great blessing. He casted my feet, I gave an inadequate thank you, and I was on my way. I have thought a lot about that experience since. What stands out to me the most was how unconditional the gift was. Be had sought direction from God, and without reservation, blessed my life temporally and spiritually. He provided me with devices I would wear for many years. I received them at such a young age, that they will prevent many years of pain, struggle, and possibly disability to some degree. The soreness and pain that I had previously experienced is something I haven't felt since. But this experience has also grown my faith. It has shown me how personally the Lord is watching over me and I can trust Him. I marvel at all the variables that needed to line up. This Member was not even in my ward. He was just at his son's house for a party. And I remember when we arrived, he said that he had planned to leave earlier. We were running late but we still caught him before he left. Not only that, but me and my companion weren't originally planning to go. We had been invited earlier that day and debated for a whole whether or not we should go. Funny enough, I was the one who didn't think we should. I believe there are many other variables as well. I am very grateful for this act of mercy and the things it has taught me. I am reminded of it every morning as I get ready. I will be forever grateful for this Latter-day Saint and His example of caring for others and following the Lord.
- Brothers and Sisters may we strive to help one another to a greater extent. To magnify our covenant keeping and proactively follow the Savior's example. That we may love one another. My invitation to each of you today is to pray for opportunities to bless others wherever they stand in need. To put real work and effort into that prayer, and follow the impressions that follow.
- I would like to close with the words of a popular primary song "He sent his Son"

How could the Father tell the world of love and tenderness?
He sent his Son, a newborn babe, with peace and holiness.

How could the Father show the world the pathway we should go?
He sent his Son to walk with men on earth, that we may know.

How could the Father tell the world of sacrifice, of death?
He sent his Son to die for us and rise with living breath.

What does the Father ask of us? What do the scriptures say?
Have faith, have hope, live like his Son, help others on their way.
What does he ask? Live like his Son.

- It is the Savior's example that we are following. I can't help but believe in Christ, who is the light of the world. I bear testimony of His divinity. I testify that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is His New Testament Church restored. I have faith in Him and His chosen servants on earth today. That we may live like Him is my hope and prayer, and I leave these things with you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I love you all!

- Elder Wride

Pictures:
1-3. Wento the USS Midway Museum this morning which was really cool. 
received_823126541967956.jpegreceived_702900720801391.jpeg
received_411054101069946.jpeg
4. We put up the flag at our church building for the 4th
20220704_131050.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 102.5 - The End

My dear friends, I am writing to you from the comforts of my home, Sandy Utah. I am no longer Elder, but Brother Wride. I just landed in Uta...