Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Week 69 - This Week's Email

Hey Everyone!

First off, we have transfers today! Elder Reinhart is now in Point Loma which is closer downtown San Diego. I'm staying in Olivenhain and my new companion is Elder Roberts. I'm about 11 transfers in the mission and I have about 5-6 left which is kinda scary.


I also totally forgot to include in my email last week that we had a wild thing happen while we were Christmas caroling. On Christmas Eve as we were walking to a member we were going to Carol to, we passed an apartment that had a fire alarm going off. We didn't think much of it, and assumed it was probably just someone cooking. But after the visit and on our way back to the cars it was still beeping. We looked through the window and the apartment looked pretty hazy and smoky. We decided to knock on their door. No answer. We knocked on some of their neighbors door and they said they hadn't seen them in a while. We ended up calling 911 and the fire department came over. They went in the apartment and discovered that it was just food left out on the stove. But someone would've had to come eventually. There was also a cat in there that we saved. It was a good thing.

This past week I've trally tried to focus on involving the Lord in the work. Specifically throught prayer. Here are some things so far
- Last P-day, we prayed really hard to know the will of the Lord in our goals. Even though we have not begun teaching anyone in the past many weeks, we set the goal of meeting 1 new person to begin teaching. Later that day we ended up talking to one of our members in the ward! The family has a daughter, 9 years old, who has not been baptized and they would like us to begin teaching the missionary discussions. It's not exactly what I had in mind when it came to meeting someone to teach, but we hope to help her progress along the covenant path as well. So we hit that goal!
- On Wednesday we had a lot of plans fall through which is always kinda discouraging. After prayers for guidance, Elder Reinhart had an idea that while we're walking around proselytizing, we should pick up garbage. We started doing it at the park and we've been doing it since. I think it's a really good thing. We have an additional purpose and it helps us serve the people here in a small way. I think it's also improved our image. I've been thinking a lot about our I recently and how people kinda see us the same way they see salesmen. It's kind of frustrating, but we're trying to do what we can to be more personable and genuine, because I think it opens the door to more conversation.
- On Thursday we went out and made some visits. At the end of our visits we had a lesson but we had some time. We sat on a bench and reported on all our visits and then went to our lesson. After our lesson, it being the end of the day, we started walking home. Then I realized that I accidentally left the Book of Mormon I was carrying on the bench. We started walking back and then thought about just leaving it to see if anyone would take it. We prayed about it and both felt good about leaving it there. A little while later we were in the area and went by to check on it and to save it from the expected rain. It was gone! We don't know where it is or who took it but we hope to find out sometime. Overall, its been helpful to be more intentionally prayerful about our work.

Anyway, that's pretty much it for this week. I look forward to working another transfer. Thank you all! I love you

- Elder Wride

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 102.5 - The End

My dear friends, I am writing to you from the comforts of my home, Sandy Utah. I am no longer Elder, but Brother Wride. I just landed in Uta...